Sunday, February 12, 2012

Black America

America is not the melting pot they paint in the history books
But, I don't live in America, I live in Black America
I live where they don't tell you the real truth in schools
Where we are supposed to look up to Columbus & George Washington but not Nelson Mandela or Angela Davis
Where the most important lessons are learned on the streets & common sense always takes a back seat
In Black America I'm white on the inside because I don't speak ebonics
I spend too much time reading and not enough time gangbanging
In Black America, black men account for almost 35% of the prison population but only 4% of the US population
Where everyone wants to free Boosie but no one is shouting Free Troy
We care more about bitches & hos than stocks & bonds.
In Black America we are our own enemies
And if you're light skinned the world is your oyster
But if not then you're ugly and stereotyped
Indian Remy Hair & relaxers are beautiful but the natural curls & fros are unkempt.
Where the only time we step in a voting booth is when the candidate is Black
I live where a black man marries a white woman twice as often as a black woman
Where little black girls are ashamed to be themselves because the media has deemed her "Too Dark"
Where I don't fit in because my shirt isn't 3 times my size and my pants don't hang off my ass
Where we only make up almost 14% of the US population but make up 50% of the HIV population
Where Black on Black crime is accounting for a majority of Murder victims in the US.
72% of single & unwed mothers are Black & over 40% of black teenagers will drop out of high school.
No child left behind is a lie in Black America.
We've been taught that the barrel of a gun speaks louder than words.
I'm seen as a statistic rather than a human being.
Every time a black person picks up a crack pipe or cocks a gun to pop shots into someone who disrespected him or gets jumped into a gang we hold ourselves back.
I've been programmed to be scared of the police, even if I've done nothing wrong because the police beat down men who are already handcuffed and say they were resisting.
The innocent are being killed as the guilty watch with relief.
Almost 25% of Blacks are living in poverty. We think if it didn't happen in our neighborhood or to those closest to us then it doesn't affect us.
We have a strict "snitches get stitches" policy
In Black America it's way better to be seen and not heard.
It's where we know all the Basketball Wives names but are blind to Madame CJ Walker & Shirley Chisolm.
We run around saying "my president is black" but we don't know who the any members of his cabinet are.
I thought we had evolved from the days of Black & White.
But no matter how far I've come I'm still just a poor, black kid from a bad neighborhood.
I thought I was supposed to be judged based on character.
I thought Black America would be a great place to live by now.
I didn't know Black America would be the charred bottom of the Melting Pot that is supposed to be America.
But, I live in Black America in hopes that we can grow past the ignorance & the stereotypes.
I can't turn my back on the America that raised me.
So I will always use my Freedom of Speech wisely
Because one day my kids will live in Black America
And hopefully the statistics will have lowered
& the masses will open their eyes and see what's really going on.
I would say White America is just as hard to live in but, hey, I wouldn't know.
And numbers don't lie.

No comments:

Post a Comment